I think that’s the single best piece of advice: constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself.
March 23, 2017
According to a few articles on the inner-web, 27 % of Americans didn’t read a single book last year. What a shame.
I’m always harping on everyone to read more because I believe that there is so much we can learn from books. People write books from their experience, research, and ideas. Meaning, that we can learn something to better our own life at little to no cost! We can learn from the experience, research, and ideas of others! What a concept!
I’ve heard people tell me that they don’t have time to read, don’t understand what they read, can’t afford to buy books and on and on it goes. I don’t have to tell you how lame those excuses are right? Here are 11 tips to help you read more.
- Use the library. It’s free.
- Start with small books.
- I recommend business or self-help motivational kinds of books. You can see the link on my favorite books above.
- Take your time. Sometimes I read a book in a few days. Sometimes it may take weeks. I don’t pressure myself to finish at any certain time.
- Used bookstores offer great prices, as well as school book sales, or library book sales.
- Sometimes I’m reading two or three books at a time. A few chapters of one then a few of another. Remember there’s no hurry.
- Read only on Saturday morning when you wake up. Spend 15 to 30 minutes just to get used to reading.
- Read a chapter at breakfast or lunch.
- Read to your kids, your spouse, your mom, or even your dog.
- Listen to audio books. You can get these free from the library too.
- Lastly, remember that there are no rules. It’s your book to read however you want to read it. Heck, read it backward if you’d like, but read it from one end to the other.
I’ll finish with this life example from a very wealthy man. Have you ever heard of Elon Musk? He’s like a Bazillionaire. He’s the guy who owns Tesla Motor Company and Space-X. Elon is considered by some to be a successful genius. When asked how he knows so much and has so many ideas he said, ” I read a lot.”
We may not all become like Elon Musk, but we can get better if we read, learn from what we read, share what we read, and practice what we read.
Happy reading friends!